On the north side of the new square Bernardino Luini, rises the church of S. Maria degli Angioli that was built between 1499 and 1500. It hosts an early Renaissance Masterpiece, reputed as being the most famous fresco of that period in Switzerland, with Christ’s Passion Scenes. The church is part of the monastery of the Order of Franciscan Friars, founded in 1490 and active until 1848.
The combination of new and old is one of LAC’s salient characteristics. The restrictions placed on the redevelopment project, requiring preservation of the original facades of the former grand Hotel Palace and the remains of the convent and the cloisters, were of crucial importance. This district of the city is coming back to life, in part due to the new public buildings, but also on account of the older areas which have reacquired their original functions.